6/19/2016

Let's speak with...Eternal Voyager (2016)

Eternal Voyager are a truemetal/powermetal band from Minneapolis. Their first album "The Battle Of Eternity" is a great record, a fine discovery for all the fans of bands like Omen, Iced Earth and Hammerfall. If you prefer your music oldschool in both songwriting and production aspects you should give this band a try.

The band Eternal Voyager, (c) by Eternal Voyager, used with kind permission
The band is currently busy recording the second album "Darkened Times" as well as preparing one or two new videos and playing shows. Happily Brian Blake, guitarist and vocalist of Eternal Voyager took the time to answer my questions anyway so have a look on his thoughts about social media, inspiration, digital vs. traditional media, motivation and what strange things may happen when you play a gig...

Heavy Metal Underdogs: How did the band come together?
Brian Blake: Well I am the founder of the band so i started, writing songs well over 15 years ago and, there's been alot of line up changes, over the years. But the resent one came about, In the last couple of years and so far is the best. It was always hard, to find the right guys, but now it's happened. I met them through a couple at a local event, and the others through a musician finding site.

Which sources do you use as inspiration for writing new songs?

alot things really, the musical influences I had growing up and till now, life. It's always been about the true spirit of metal for me, staying true to your beliefs and doing what what u really want to.

Do you feel that writing and performing music helps you to push on further with your own personal lifes?
absolutely, it's the biggest inspiration for me, it's my life therapy. If I didn't do it, or don't do music, I turn ont o a person no one wants to be around. It's that important for me.

Social media surely plays a big role in the communcation between a band and their fans. Do you feel that fans contact you more or less personally at gigs these days?
yeah I think it helps alot, some people may disagree, but it's great for then and business part of it, u can talk with people from all over the world, very easy and yes fans can connect with us directly as well.

Do you still prefer releasing music on traditional media like LPs, CDs and the like or do you feel the same satisfaction when putting out music digitally?

we sell both so people can get it in all forms, but i personally love hard copies of albums, i have a huge and ever-growing collection myself, and I could never just own a digital copy. That's not what metal collecting is about, for me. I like to be able to have a tangible copy that I can look at pics and lyrics in. It's not the same with a digital copy. it's also better quality with a real copy.

The cover of "The Battle Of Eternity" album, (c) by Eternal Voyager, used with kind permission

Have you ever experimented with other styles over the years and thought about changing?
no not really, so different styles come out naturally, of course like trash, black, or folk, but we have been and always will be power heavy true metal. I guess that the style if you will. I think it's best to just write how u feel, and this is what come natural for me. I'd never change the core of what we do, it's not who I am, and the fans wouldn't appreciate it.

Did you come along points where you thought about leaving it all behind? If you reached that point: how did you keep the motivation up to move on? 
well of course it's been very tough to keep doing this, and yes there's been some time when u want to give up, because things don't work out and u get frustrated. But I could never walk away, it's who I am, and it's what I need to be creative. I've had moments like alot of people have in this business, where, ask your self why is this so hard, but if it was easy , I don't think a person would appreciate it as much when u have successful things happen. Metal is life!

What was the funniest story that came along your way when you performed live? Or did things happen that you would have never thought of to occur (not only at gigs but maybe anywhere else as well)?
well that is a tough question, because we had a few crazy things happen. Years ago we when we were a young and very different band, we were playing a gig at a club and there was only a small crowd just sitting at tables watching and not really knowing what to think of what we were doing, and all of a sudden this random guy, just come flying in all by himself and starts moshing and slam dancing all around and then just went right out the back door, and left. We all looked eachother and didn't know what to think. But yes many stories, to many to tell. Thanks for your time and stay metal!!!

The band has some shows this summer / early fall. Check this Facebook post for the exact dates and flyer and make sure you won't miss them out. A good show always can give you a heads up and charge you with the power everyone needs to move on with their lives.

Follow Eternal Voyager through their website or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment